Kolbe Offers Engineered Bamboo as a New, Interior Species Option
Kolbe expands its selection of interior wood species to include a new, special option – an engineered, laminated veneer bamboo (LVB) product (sourced from suppliers such as Lamboo®). Bamboo is the most renewable material of its kind currently available for the building products industry. Selected from more than 1600 species of bamboo, LVB products are manufactured from four of the strongest, fast growing and sustainable species.
Highlights of laminated veneer bamboo (LVB):
- Similar in density to Hard Maple
- No knots or voids and is pressed into two different grain types
- The solid, uniform, engineered surface is easy to clean
- Low maintenance and long lifecycle, enhanced by bamboo’s natural, antimicrobial properties that also help resist pests, molds and moisture.
- Available on the interior face of our windows and doors
- Choice of stain colors and custom-matched finishes available
According to one of Kolbe’s suppliers, Lamboo Inc. of Springfield, Ill., LVB:
- Is 20% more stable than wood in moisture and temperature changes
- Has 10 times the tensile strength of wood
- Uses 15% less embodied energy than wood
- Sequesters 35% more carbon in the growing cycle than timber
- Allows a four- to six-year harvest cycle, about half of the harvest cycle allowable under the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED Rating System
In addition to LEED’s Materials and Resources credits, the use of ecologically responsible adhesives also may contribute to Indoor Environmental Quality credits for low-emitting materials within the composite wood and agrifiber products category.