Ultra EP Casement Windows with Improved Energy Performance
Kolbe announces the addition of Ultra EP (Energy Performance) casement windows to its Ultra Series product family of energy efficient, aluminum clad wood windows. The new Ultra EP windows feature triple pane glass to meet the ENERGY STAR® criteria for all Canadian climate zones, which went into effect October 1, 2010.
Internationally, ENERGY STAR-qualified windows are tested and certified by an independent, accredited agency. Window products can qualify for ENERGY STAR based on their U-factor. U-factors for the four Canadian climate zones range from 0.21 to 0.32, expressed in metric units as 1.20-1.80. Lower U-factor numbers indicate a slower transfer of heat from a warm area to a cold area. This is considered advantageous in colder climates where homeowners want to lower their heating bills by effectively and efficiently keeping the warm air inside.
Ultra EP Casement/Awning Specifications:
- 1-3/8-inch (2.54-cm) insulating glass and LoE coatings designed to achieve U-factors as low as 0.19 (approximately 1.00 in metric)
- Exteriors are clad in durable aluminum, finished with a protective fluoropolymer coating
- Interior is pine as standard, with optional wood species available including those FSC certified
- Options to match nearly any décor, including interior finishes, hardware and accessory choices
- The 3.25-inch (8.255-cm) jamb depth fits most standard applications
- A 2.25-inch (5.715-cm) thick sash, multi-point keeper and engineered hinges accommodate the thicker, heavier triple pane glass, while ensuring nearly effortless operation for the homeowner